Friday 28 February 2014

Waitrose - The New Budget Shop

OK I promise to never go on about how expensive UK food is… I had to do a double take when I went to the supermarket for the first time… a loaf of bread, not the budget variety nor the really posh stuff – just bog standard was $5.00 so halve it… about £2.50 (UK - £1.50). A box of ten free range eggs costs $9.49 (UK £2.40 for 15). 

 

Also it definitely pays off to shop around as the same or similar item may vary greatly in price. We bought a diary for $0.99 in the supermarket and the exact same diary was $10 in the stationary shop down in central Takapuna. I’m sure the locals are more in the know, but the main shopping places I’ve found in Takapuna are…

Countdown – equivalent to a Sainsburys (products, not price) and walking distance to our flat in Takapuna. Our youngest however is slightly apprehensive going there in fear that there may be an explosive device inside.

Pack n Save – this is a short drive out of town and is massive. Definitely the more cost friendly supermarket which we brave once a week. It even has an international isle where there are a few imported popular items – managed to get hold of the all important Branson Pickle to keep me happy.

Pack n Save


Takapuna Sunday Market is great for fruit and veg, although as I found out isn’t necessarily always the more cost effective option – but I still love to pay it a visit – for a browse round the stalls.

There is another supermarket - New World, but have never been there so can't really comment.

Dotted round central Takapuna there are a few convenience stores but they are substantially more than the supermarkets, so try to avoid them if I can help it.

And just to prove it… I’m telling no lie when I say it’s darn expensive out here… here’s a copy of our food bill (from Pack n Save considered the bargain supermarket) from our shop today… OK there is a small amount of booze on there, but nothing more than our usual UK shop which normally comes to between £90 and £140 for a weekly shop…. Dan had a little shock when they rang up the total! Eeek!!! 



I tell you Waitrose will feel like a budget shop when we get back to the UK!

Should note for the record that despite the food being sky high the petrol prices win hands down over here and are much cheaper than the UK.


I really don’t know how local people can afford it to be truthful. I get the impression that Takapuna is a fairly affluent pocket of Auckland, so your average Kiwi must really struggle with their food bill especially as I understand wages aren’t substantially higher. When we came out here 12 years ago everything was as cheap as chips… but oh how things have changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment